This is how it works:
Seifsa (after a strike) enters into an unaffordable wage deal with Numsa. The entry level wage in terms of this model (for an unskilled worker) currently stands at over R11 500 pm (ctc).
Since many of Seifsa’s affiliate members can’t afford this, Seifsa advises them to apply for an exemption – with Seifsa’s assistance. That explains why:
• Seifsa so easily enters into these unaffordable agreements; and
• the Steel Industry’s wages are so ridiculously high.
HOWEVER, HERE COMES THE WORST PART:
In a display of
THE WORST TYPE OF HYPOCRISY IMAGINABLE,
Seifsa (representing 10 percent of employers in the Steel Industry) then, with the help of Numsa, approaches the Minister of Labour to extend this agreement (which they themselves cannot afford) to the remaining 90 percent of the employers in the Industry.
this is worse than hypocrisy.
Since the appropriate words escape me, you can assist me in this by clicking here.
We are all in this together.
Privileged and challenged to be South African.